Pure Tung Oil
8 ounce $11.99 (covers 25 sq ft)
16 ounce $15.99 covers 50 sq ft)
32 ounce $26.99 (covers 100 sq ft)
1 Gallon $66.99 (coverage 300 to 400 sq ft)
Half and Half
(A perfect blend of Pure Tung Oil and natural, food-grade thinner Citrus Solvent. Most projects require the thick viscosity of Pure Tung Oil to be thinned for better absorption into the surface. Half & Half is great for projects large and small. We’ve done the mixing so you don’t have to!)
16 ounce $20.99 covers 50 sq ft)
32 ounce $36.99 (covers 100 sq ft)
1 Gallon $73.99 (coverage 300 to 400 sq ft)
Faifer & Company, Inc. is proud to announce that we are a distributor for D.O. SIEVER PRODUCTS (REAL MILK PAINT). We keep 100% Pure Tung Oil, Half and Half and Citrus Solvent in stock for our Mesquite Products.
Tung Oil Description
ENHANCED THE CHARACTER OF WOOD WITH OUR GREAT WATER RESISTANT FINISH
The Tung Oil Offered by Faifer & Company, Inc. (Real Milk Paint) is a pure oil meaning it comes without any additives or distillates. Most other oils can be anything from a thinned down varnish to polymerized tung and most have petroleum distillates added. Ours will not build a gloss or heavy finish, but will penetrate deeply into the wood to enhance character and water resistance while creating a great wood finish.
This makes a great finish for wood counter tops, bowls, butcher blocks, cutting boards, chopping blocks, outdoor furniture, decks, wood siding, wood flooring, concrete, brick and just about any porous surface that needs an environmentally friendly product.
Real Milk Paint guarantees this Pure Tung Oil is ASTM Quality Tested to be light in color with the highest amount of reactive sites to ensure drying and a great wood finish. WE use only the freshest, highest quality product. All our Tung Oils are “fresh” pumped from a drum just before shipping.
Tung Oil History
Pure Tung Oil comes from cold pressing of the seed or nuts of the tung tree, which mainly grow in the mountainous regions of China away from industrialization and pollution. Climate, soil and air quality are essential for high quality oil. Ours is 100% Pure Chinese Tung Oil, which is also know as Chinese wood oil and is an all natural finish manufactured by pressing the tung nut, no petroleum distillates or other additives – just pure oil. Some low priced marketers will package South American Tung Oil (dark, greenish in color) and sell it as the higher quality Chinese. Chinese Tung Oil is available in 3 grades, we only offer the very best available, grade 1 yellow. The high quality oil offers superior color, fast drying and long elastic finish. Elasticity is an important factor as the oil must continue to flex with the expansion and contraction of the substrate on which it is applied.
It’s one of the first and remains to be one of the only truly “Green” or environmentally friendly finishes. It is all natural and contains zero VOC’s. It’s an all – natural finishing product that provides a tough, flexible and highly water-resistant coating or wood finish. It is classed as a drying oil along with linseed, poppy seed, safflower seed, walnut, soybean, oiticica and a few other oils. Although it is relatively new to the Western world, it has bee known for centuries to the Chinese, and until this century, China was the main source for the oil. It comes from the seed of the tung trees, Aleurites fordii and Aleurites montana, deciduous trees that are very susceptible to frost damage. This vulnerability has restricted the cultivation of the tung trees to China and South America. It’s in the building trades as a treatment for both stone and wooden structures; in marine trades as a preservative and water repellant on wooden boats for centuries. It is said to have been introduced to the West by Marco Polo. From the 13th to the 19th century, tung oil had only limited use in the West. More recently, tung oil has gained favor over linseed oil for wood finishing because it is faster drying and does not darken as much with age.
Pure Tung Oil Advantages
- Zero VOC’s
- All Natural means “Green”
- Freshness Guaranteed (fresh pumped daily)
- Best Available, Grade 1 yellow
- Naturally polymerizing finish
- Cures by oxidation not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats
- Form a flexible water proof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids
- Does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil
- Long shelf life (will last for years, properly sealed)
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage)
- Combined with “Citrus Solvent” makes an all-natural finish
- FDA approved for food contact
- Does not go rancid
Properties and Characteristics
- Pure Tung Oil is an all natural finish that is water and alkali resistant offering a protective barrier
- A Pure Tung Oil finish will not darken with age as other finishes will.
- It resists marring, penetrates well, remains elastic and unlikely to check.
- Tung oil builds quickly, consolidates the wood surface and builds a transparent matte finish.
- Pure Tung Oil finish will not mildew or bleed like linseed oil when dry which makes it an excellent candidate for outdoor finishes.
- It should be kept in an airtight container with minimum air space.
- Pure Tung Oil contains no thinners or driers and has a light nutty odor.
- A Pure Tung Oil finish mixed with Citrus Solvent is a all natural organic finish that is environmentally safe and food safe.
Direction for Use
- The surface should be dusted to remove all loose particles.
- For better penetration the oil should be thinned one to one with Citrus Solvent.
- Any filling or staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Using the Pure Tung Oil straight from the bottle would only be for the most thirsty surfaces like old weathered wood, hundred year old wood floors that were never finished or concrete.
- The majority of all projects, you will thin 50% with thinners for the entire finishing process.
- The first coat of thinned material should be a liberal one.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush or sponge brush.
- Allow this application to sit for a minimum of 40 minutes so the oil can soak in. When it soaks into the wood, apply another coat immediately. Continue to apply coats until wood is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes but can be 1 ½ hours. If eighty percent of area stays glossy the wood cells are saturated.
- Then wipe down the surface with clean rag material. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Let soak in completely over night between applications. Do not allow standing oil on the surface over night. Any standing or puddles oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- For woods with very dense pores like teak wood thin with two parts Citrus Solvent to one part oil will help it absorb better for every coat.
- Hang oil soaked rags up separately to dry.
- Pure Tung Oil will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
- Tung oil can be applied pure or with Citrus Solvent added if a non-toxic finish is required.
- Thinners can accelerate the drying process and greatly improve the penetration by cutting the first coat of oil with Citrus Solvent, mineral spirits or turpentine by 50%.
- Do not use the “Green” thinners now being sold. They contain water and will not mix with the oil.
- Remember by adding petroleum mineral spirits or turpentine, Pure Tung Oil becomes toxic with these substances mixed into it, although the finish produced is not toxic because the thinners evaporate.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. Two to four coats are enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. Surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling could need up to six coats for maximum protection, plus a light renewal coats a couple of times a year.
- Apply until the surface reaches the saturation point. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and building coats are quickly applied with cheese cloth, a lint free cloth or old nylon stockings. This process will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills; water will bead on the surface.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- Pure Tung Oil’s matte finish will do nicely on certain pieces of furniture, but if a glossy finish is preferred you will need to buff and wax the finish, or use polymerized tung oil or a formulated tung oil based product.
Pure Tung Oil should remain above freezing during and after application for a period of 10 to 15 days. If freezing temperatures do occur it is possible for the fat in the oil to rise out of the oil and deposit on the surface. The warmer the temperature the faster the oil will cure however direct sunlight baking a surface after a “fresh” application can quickly polymerize the oil and result in a dry rubbery frosted appearance or a distinctly more glossy finish then the surrounding area.
Pure Tung Oil should be stored in moderate temperature. Do not to freeze and not hot places like attics. It should also be stored out of direct sunlight like a mildly heated basement area. A mixture of Pure Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent should be stored in the “White” Citrus Solvent container. These are treated to hold the Solvent for optimum storage.
Pure Tung Oil is approved for food contact by the FDA. View document.
Gunstock Finishing and Care by Donald Newell, Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products – Vol. 1 – 4th edition.
Keep containers tightly closed away from extreme temperature changes and open flames. As with all oils, rags, steel wool or waste soaked with oil, may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place the oil soaked material in a sealed water-filled metal container or hang outside separately to dry.
- MSDS: View the Material Safety Data Sheet for Pure Tung Oil
- MSDS: View the Material Safety Data Sheet for Dark Raw Tung Oil.
- MSDS: View the Material Safety Data Sheet for Citrus Solvent.
- MSDS: View the Material Safety Data Sheet for Carnauba Wax.
At Faifer & Company, Inc. as well as The Real Milk Paint Company we do our best to provide safe products as well as information. However we can not guarantee that individuals with compromised immune systems or allergies will not have a reaction to our products. We strongly recommend that each person take their own personal responsibility in testing this product for their own personal use.