This is pre-mixed Pure Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent from the Real Milk Paint Co.
We found that is most cases the Pure Tung Oil is too thick to penetrate most surfaces. Thinning with a natural solvent helps the oil penetrate deeper into the material. The 1 to 1 or Half & Half ratio works great all-around for most surfaces like new raw wood, butcher block countertops, cutting boards, concrete, terra cotta clay pots, stone, and slate. This finish is also food contact safe! Generally, 3 to 5 coats are needed to seal and waterproof. This all-natural finish does take 7 to 10 days to develop a water resistance and a full 30 days for a complete cure. A quick way to see the color of your surface before oiling is to just wet with water. The way it looks wet but not glossy is the color you have when the oil is dry! Can be mixed with any other of our Tung Oil Products (i.e. Pure Tung Oil, Dark Tung Oil, Dark Half, Outdoor Defense Oil).
- Sample covers 1 sq. foot
- 16 oz. covers 50 sq. feet
- 32 oz. covers 100 sq. feet
- covers 400 sq. feet
- Example: 1 Gallon will do 1 coat on a 400 sq. foot surface.
How to Finish Wood Countertops and Butcher Blocks
All Real Milk Paint Tutorials & Video
What its made of
We believe in being honest with what is in our products. So, thats why we provide the ingredients used in them so you can rest assured knowing exactly what is in the product you purchase from us. It’s just a way we make it easier on you.
Half & Half is made of
- Pure Tung Oil
- Citrus Solvent
- Pure Tung Oil is approved for food contact by the FDA. View document.
- Citrus Solvent is a biodegradable, naturally-occurring solvent, as the main component is simply citrus peel oil. Citrus Solvent’s interesting chemical properties, pleasant citrus aroma, and is FDA-GRAS rating (“generally recognized as safe”), view document. Citrus Peel Oil is extracted from citrus rind. When citrus fruits are juiced, the oil is pressed out of the rind. This oil is separated from the juice and distilled to recover certain flavor and fragrance compounds. The bulk of the oil is left behind and collected as “food grade” citrus oil. After the juicing process, the peels are conveyed to a steam extractor. This extracts more of the oil from the peel. When the steam has been condensed, a layer of oil then floats on the surface of the condensed water. The result is technical grade citrus peel oil, which is the main ingredient in our Citrus Solvent.
Want to know more? Then take a look at our Half & Half Safety Data Sheet (SDS) by clicking here.
There are no reviews yet.